Prof. Nevzat Tarhan is the president of TANPA - Turkish American Neuropsychiatric Association.
Prof. Nevzat Tarhan was born in Merzifon in 1952. He graduated from Military High School (1969) and İstanbul University Cerrahpaşa Medical Faculty (1975). After the GATA internship as well as Cyprus and Bursa continental service, he became a Psychiatrist in GATA in 1982. He became assistant professor (1988) and associate professor (1990) in GATA Haydarpaşa after serving as a doctor in Erzincan and Çorlu Hospitals. He served as a clinical director. He became Colonel (1993) and Professor (1996). He was an academic member at Yüzüncü Yıl University and an expert at the Forensic Medicine Institute between the years of 1996-1999. He retired at his own will. In 1998, he was the representative of Turkey in Memory Center of America.
Prof. Nevzat Tarhan is a scientist who has succeeded in combining his beliefs, thoughts and ideas in his life and has carried the results to his personal and social life. He has published his knowledge of psychiatric specialization, which he has been relying on for so many years based on great effort and research, in over 100 publications and 31 published internationally. Due to his works presented in visual and written media, he has reached a large amount of audience in Turkey. He carries out his work with great seriousness and precision. He is a person who spends the same amount of effort and gives the same amount of care from a small business to a large international project. He starts the projects with a student responsibility and excitement during the research phase and he presents his knowledge, experience and know - how accumulated over many years in the projects. He is able to present his experience to all his business partners with the support of knowing human psychology well.
The main factor behind the hard work and success is his philosophy of life and his perspective of faith. The vision of life which is not limited to the world but which includes both the world and the afterlife stems from the consciousness that it is in the presence of the Creator while performing every work. This is to present his principles of faith, which are based on asceticism, observation, and proof by combining knowledge in the testimony of the universe and presenting it in front of his readers through establishing a connection with the characteristics of Allah reflected in the world. He is one of the rare scientists who has succeeded in expressing the link between the universe and the Qur'an. In addition to succeeding in adapting his scholar identity to his life, he conducts a discipline in his life on carrying out the truths he has learned and transferring to others.
The source of his different point of view is the Qur'an, which he has read since his youth and it has guided his life, He too has dealt with subjects just like many youngsters questioning the meaning of life and existence such as “Random Existence, Meaning of Life, Darwinism, Why Evil Exists, the Need of Religion, Psychology of Belief, Is There Life After Death, How Does Human Mind and Spirit Provide Satisfaction?”. He proved his point of view with the readers through the explanations from Qur'an and scientific investigations.
As Tarhan closely observes the social life due to being a psychiatrist, he makes an accurate analysis of the social life and touches on the importance of "Community Psychology" in every media platform.
His features are not limited to the ones mentioned above. Prof. Nevzat Tarhan has always targeted investment in people and used his material-spiritual resources towards this direction. The majority of the society witness all that is done. He expresses through his actions that he will continue the same objectives until the end of his life, under his approach of the faith.
Currently, he is the Founder and Rector of the Üsküdar University and carries out the NPİSTANBUL Brain Hospital Chairman of the Board of Directors, which is Turkey's first neuropsychiatry hospital.
He has more than 100 publications, of which 31 are international. He speaks English and German.
He has two children.
Some of the Magazine and Occupational Congresses He Led
- 1989, "Stress and Diseases".
- 1991, "Innovations in Psychopharmacology".
- 1992, "Violence".
- 1993, Prof. Tarhan organized a symposium on “Serotonin” in Turkey that was attended internationally for the first time.
- Conducted editorship for six years of “Clinic Psychopharmacology” journal.
- Participated in Regulatory Board of 7th International ECNS Congress that was held in İstanbul, 2010.
- Organized 2015 Antalya, 2016 China, 2017 Hamburg G 20 - N20 (Neuroscience) Meetings.
Some of His Occupational Awards:
- Awarded with "Best Researcher" at the international congress on "Destructive Drives and Impulse Control" held in Holland in 1991.
- Awarded with "RTGD Best Community Program" for television program called Reasonable Solutions conducted once a week on TV in 2003.
- Awarded for his SKY TURK, Psikoyorum program on “Supporting family Training and prospective community mental health services” from Prime Ministry General Directorate of Family and Social Research in 2005.
- Awarded “Golden Apple” by Amasya Foundation in 2007 due to his contributions of Turkish music in music therapy.
- Awarded with “Golden Tulip” by Prof. Mümtaz Turhan Social Vocational School, Psychology branch in 2009.
- Awarded “Good Implementation of Patient Safety” by OHSAD and Patient Safety Foundation in 2009.
- Awarded with “Congress Ambassador” in 2010 due to his effort to bring world-wide known scientists in ECNS Congress, İstanbul.
- Awarded with “Presidential Service Prize” in ECNS/ ISNIP/ ISBET Germany Munich Clinic Neuroscience Congress, 2015 due to his contributions in Neurophysiology.
- Awarded with “From Universal Fellowship to World Peace Invitation Award” in Science and Research branch by World Fellowship Union Mevlana Supreme Foundation Universal, 2017.
- Awarded with “Social Responsibility Award in Health” in 2017 by Health Volunteers Turkey and Hospital Manager Magazine due to his genuine contributions in health system.
- New York Academy of Science, Member
- American Psychiatric Association (APA), Member
- EEG and Clinical Neuroscience Society (ECNS), Member of Executive Board
- New York Academic Psychiatry Foundation, Member
- Internatıonal Psychogeriatric Association (IPA), Member
- International Society for Neuroimaging in Psychiatry (ISNIP), Member
- National Geographic Society, Member
- Anxiety Disorders Association of America (ADAA), Member
- International Society for Neurofeedback &Research (ISNR), Member
- ECNP, European Congress of Neuropsychopharmacology, Member
- Society for Brain Mapping & Therapeutics (SBMT), Board of Directors Member,
- TANPA Turkish American Neuropsychiatry Association, (President)
Some of His Social Responsibility Works:
- Presidency of İDER Humanitarian Values and Psychiatric Care Association
- Presidency of ASDER Justice Defenders’ Association that works in human rights cases
- Presidency of Happy Home Happy Life Association that takes care of orphans
- Presidency of Come Hold My Hand Association that works against child and teen abuse
Published Books: (The copyrights of all the publishing books donated to İDER Foundation.)
1- Blood and Circulation (1982)
2- Stress and Diseases (1989) - Symposium book, Editor and Chapter Author
3- Innovations in Psychopharmacology (1991) - Symposium book, Editor and Chapter Author
4- Violence, Biopsychosocial Perspective (1998) – Co-author with Prof. İbrahim Balcıoğlu
5- Being at Peace with Yourself (2001)
6- Psychological War, Grey Propaganda (2002)
7- Psychology of Happiness, Converting Stress to Happiness (2002)
8- Family School, Reasonable Solution, Guidebook for Communication in the Family (2004)
9- Psychology of Woman (2005)
10- Psychology of Marriage (2006)
11- Psychology of Emotions (2006)
12- About Life, Joy of Life-2 (2007)
13- Psychology of Community (2009)
14- Psychology of Faith (2009) (Translated to English)
15- Being a Conscious Youngster, Do Anybody Want to Understand Me? (2009)
16- Family, the Last Shelter (2010)
17- Asymmetric War, Political Psychology (2010)
18- Addiction, Virtual or Actual (2011)
19- Psychology of Values, Good Person Model (2011)
20- Bediüzzaman, the Conscience of Age (2012)
21- You, Me and Our Children (2012)
22- Mesnevi Therapy (2012) (Translated to English and Bulgarian)
23- Journey from Wisdom to Heart, Bediüzzaman Model (2012)
24- Positive Psychology (2012)
25- Yunus Therapy (2013)
26- Love Therapy (2014)
27- Being a Conscious Family (2014)
28- Mom, What is a Coup? (2017)